Arthropods and Echinoderms
Eukaryotes - Kingdom Animalia
- Arthro – jointed, Poda - foot
- Largest phylum of all animals! (75%)
- Barnacles, shrimp, lobster, crab, etc.
- Segmented, bilateral symmetry
- Jointed appendages moved by attached muscles
- Exoskeleton made of chitin
- Molted/shed to allow for growthAnimals without a backbone
- Marine counterpart to terrestrial insects
- Gill for oxygen exchange
- Chitin exoskeleton hardened by calcium carbonate
- Appendages specialized for swimming, crawling, attachment to ocean surfaces
- Antennae used as sensory organs
Types of crustaceans
- Isopod - see below!
- Decapod (shrimp, lobster, crab)
- Sea stars, sea urchins, and sea cucumber
- Radially symmetrical based on five points
- Complete digestive tract, endoskeleton, tube feet used for attachment, locomotion, and sensory perception
- Water vascular system
- Water filled canals that end in tube feet
- Muscle contraction fill tube feet with water
- Tube feet protrude and use suctions on end
- Used for locomotion and attachment
Types of Echinoderms
- Sea Star (Asteroidea)
- Brittle Star (Ophiuroidea) - see below!
- Sea Urchin (Echinoidea)
- Sea cucumber (Holothuroidea)
- Crinoid (Crinoidea)
Random Pictures from our Gallery!